Summer Reading Assignment
for Incoming 7th Graders 2018-2019
Part 1: Students will read two (2) books this summer.
Book 1 is a required novel:
Where the Red Fern Grows Wilson Rawls
AND, choose and read any book from the below list. Read BOTH BOOKS over the summer
- Notes from an Accidental Band Geek Erin Dionne
- Powerless Matthew Cody
- Ungifted Gordon Kormon
- Take me to the River Will Hobbs
- The Always War Margaret Peterson Haddix
- Wish Joseph Monniger
- Kizzy Ann Stamps Jeri Watts
- We Were Liars E. Lockhart
- When You Reach Me Rebecca Stead
Part 2: Students will annotate and make notes while reading the two novels.
Make any notes you like in the books, if they are your own books. Use sticky notes or a sheet of paper if the book is not your won. If you are reading on an electronic device, use the note-taking tools the device provides.
For both books you will want to know the following things:
- Who are the main characters? What are they like?
- Who are some of the minor characters? What are they like?
- How would you summarize the plot of the story?
- Where and when does the book take place?
- Who is telling the story? (1st or 3rd person point of view)
- What life lesson, or theme, is the author trying to teach through this novel?
Once school begins, you will complete assignments for the two novels. These will be given to you in English class. The due dates and assignment will be provided by your English teacher at the start of the school year.